Hi there and welcome to my website! My name is Marieke (Marie-kuh) Steiner (Sty-ner) and I have many hobbies, among them reading and writing fiction. You can find links to some of my previously published stories on this site, as well as news about my upcoming publishing projects. I've been wanting to work with an illustrator for quite some time and so I have -- with several, actually. I found them all on the Internet and together we've been collaborating on several children's e-books. Check back in this space for updates on when those publications will be available for purchase.
I work as a technical writer and have called Hampton Roads, VA (US) home since 1993. I grew up in Chapel Hill, NC and am a graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill where, many moons ago, I earned a Bachelor’s degree in English. I am married and have two children. My oldest, a recent graduate of Virginia Tech, is now a nursing student and my youngest is currently a member of the class of 2023 at my alma mater. I also own two male cats, Marlin (left) and Winston (right).
My Flash Fiction Portfolio
The following selections represent a sampling of my work in which the copyright has either remained with me or been returned to me after publication. Reprints are available upon request. They are listed in the order in which they appeared, in print or online, from 1998 to the present, with the oldest displayed first.
A longer work, a Young Adult novel, The BOAT Adventures, came out in 2018, but it is now out of print.
- "Earl's Girl," I Love Cats
- "Taste Test," New Camp Horror
- "No In-between," Spadina Literary Review
- "A Rose Named Kenneth," Terror House Magazine
- "You're Making Me Yawn," Down in the Dirt Magazine -- * Anthologized and in print in v169, 3/1/20.* (In the left pane, click Writings, then scroll down the alphabetized list to find my name.)
- "Reserved Space," Friday Flash Fiction - 100-Word Stories
- Shortkidstories.com, "The Threat is Real," "Stop the Yawn," and "Pig Island"
- "The First Night," Friday Flash Fiction - 100-Word Stories
- "A Ginger Rescue," Friday Flash Fiction - 100-Word Stories
- "In Sickness," Friday Flash Fiction - 100-Word Stories
- "Merry or Macabre?," Friday Flash Fiction - 100-Word Stories
- "Better Safe...," Friday Flash Fiction - 100-Word Stories
- "The Cat Cab," Smarty Pants Magazine for Kids *My first published poem, complete with music and sound effects!*
To check out some of my other interests, click here.
To find out how to leave me a message, click here
Thanks for stopping by!